Prophesy of Pendor Dev Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for the Development Team associated with the Mount&Blade Module Prophesy of Pendor Development

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Version Merge?

Go down 
+3
nihilocrat
Mordred
ManOfHonor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ManOfHonor
Insidious Provocateur
Insidious Provocateur

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:18 am

Alright, so we've got our final 3.411 version, right now that's all I know, are we splitting up the merger by files? Do we want to have a changelog for folks to make notes in when there are odd things to be merged?

EDIT: My change questions-
WIP of course

module_scripts
line1032
(gt, ":hero_offset", khergit_banners_begin_offset),#Do not add khergit banners to other lords in 4A. In 3.411 the gt is a ge. Have left alone for now.

line 1930
#(faction_set_slot, "fac_kingdom_2", slot_faction_quick_battle_tier_1_cavalry, "trp_p4_santara_mounted_javlineer"),
In 4A this line is commented out, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why, the troop is different as well but that is all right. Uncommenting because I can't see a reason for this.

Line 3529, and 6289
In 4A it has (end_try), 3.411 has (try_end), I don't believe this difference means anything, so I'm just leaving it alone

line 3890, 3891, in the "game_event_simulate_battle", in 4A the two lines below are commented out in 3.411 they are not, going with commented out becaude 3.411 is more up to date, I suppose.
(neq, ":defender_faction", "fac_player_faction"),
(neq, ":attacker_faction", "fac_player_faction"),

Last edited by ManOfHonor on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Basically what we want to do is do a winmerge, PoP4 source into the PoP3.411 source. Splitting by files is a good idea, and please do post a change log. As to who does what, just get started and be sure to post on what you are doing, and once done what you have done.
Back to top Go down
nihilocrat
Questioner
Questioner
nihilocrat

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am

Hey, I got your emails regarding this.

My biggest question is how I can tell if something belongs in the merged version or not. This includes stuff in PoP 3.411 that we don't want, stuff in PoP 4 which we don't want, and especially cases where the code will conflict. I haven't opened anything up yet so maybe it's more obvious than I would think.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 am

Well all the factions *should* be done already, so those are carried across. This includes town / castle names, troop trees, lords, troop equipment, troop stats. Not sure on relations, but they will likely change anyway.
The Snake Cult "Waxing and Waning" system should be carried accross. This modifies the stats of the Snake Dominion troops.
The Snake Cult "Influencing" system should be carried across. This changes the relationship between the Snake Dominion and other factions to be 100.
The Companions should be carried across.

All other features in PoP3 should be kept, we can replace them when it comes to doing them.

Most important is that you test as you merge stuff, to ensure that the game still runs. I would suggest doing one faction at a time, then perhaps the features, then the companions.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 am

Just noticed that ManO added some more queries in his first post. Can anyone help out with those questions? Also, programmers please keep checking back on this thread so we can keep things moving.

@ ManO : I would always post to say that you have updated a previous post otherwise it could easily be missed.
Back to top Go down
nihilocrat
Questioner
Questioner
nihilocrat

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Can't answer those questions since I just started...

Speaking of which, do you want me to get started merging some particular files?
Back to top Go down
ManOfHonor
Insidious Provocateur
Insidious Provocateur

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Sure Nihlocrat, that would be great, start on module troops or module items please, these probably have a lot of changes, but they should just be a bit lengthy. If you're feeling up to something more difficult, the module game menus ought to provide some 'entertainment' for awhile, haven't looked closely at it but at a glance I think it is one of the more complex mergers.

Mordred, I intend to, though I wanted to build up a bit more of a list first, like once I've finished the initial changes to a file and then only need to consider those items I had questions on, kinda lump it all together. For now it is more of a living changelog of questions, I have plenty else to do and am not yet limited by those questions, so they're there to be referenced later, but are available to the more energetic individuals.
Back to top Go down
nihilocrat
Questioner
Questioner
nihilocrat

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:59 pm

What's module_troops_current.py? It looks like the normal module_troops.py file is more active and in fact more "current".

I looked at both module_troops and module_items and it looks like there are a number of PoP 4 changes alongside new content. Should I assume we want neither the new content nor the tweaks to existing PoP 3 content?
Back to top Go down
mp84
Nemisis
Nemisis

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am

nihilocrat wrote:
What's module_troops_current.py? It looks like the normal module_troops.py file is more active and in fact more "current".

I looked at both module_troops and module_items and it looks like there are a number of PoP 4 changes alongside new content. Should I assume we want neither the new content nor the tweaks to existing PoP 3 content?

Since Mordred is away for a week and to keep you guys working I'll throw in my 2 cents really quick, I would say for now just include that stuff, because who knows if those tweaks or new content is balance fixes and all that fun stuff which can be useful for PoP 4.. If necessary we can always take it out later.

MP
Back to top Go down
treebeard
Nemisis
Nemisis
treebeard

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 pm

ManOfHonor wrote:
Alright, so we've got our final 3.411 version, right now that's all I know, are we splitting up the merger by files? Do we want to have a changelog for folks to make notes in when there are odd things to be merged?

EDIT: My change questions-
WIP of course

module_scripts
line1032
(gt, ":hero_offset", khergit_banners_begin_offset),#Do not add khergit banners to other lords in 4A. In 3.411 the gt is a ge. Have left alone for now.

line 1930
#(faction_set_slot, "fac_kingdom_2", slot_faction_quick_battle_tier_1_cavalry, "trp_p4_santara_mounted_javlineer"),
In 4A this line is commented out, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why, the troop is different as well but that is all right. Uncommenting because I can't see a reason for this.

Line 3529, and 6289
In 4A it has (end_try), 3.411 has (try_end), I don't believe this difference means anything, so I'm just leaving it alone

line 3890, 3891, in the "game_event_simulate_battle", in 4A the two lines below are commented out in 3.411 they are not, going with commented out becaude 3.411 is more up to date, I suppose.
(neq, ":defender_faction", "fac_player_faction"),
(neq, ":attacker_faction", "fac_player_faction"),

Hi! I'm still on vacation (my sister and her family came yesterday and will be staying for 3 weeks, but I wanted to clarify the lines you mentioned:

Ln 1032: The banners. I'm using gt because when using ge one lord from Empire and one from D'Shar were sharing the same banner.
Ln 1930: This only pertains to quick battles and is not a relevant line of code. It can stay commented out. The reason it was commented out was that the troop it had was not an existing troop name and that in turn would cause a compile error.

Ln 3890, 6289: try_end is better to use than end_try, since the latter is deprecated.
Ln 3890, 3891: This was a change in WB 1.143 that I just also used in PoP3.41 and onwards. It can stay commented out since the player is never involved on the campaign map as a simulated battle. It won't do any harm if it is there but it was redundant code.

Best,
TB
Line 1032:
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Have we made any further progress on this?
Back to top Go down
nihilocrat
Questioner
Questioner
nihilocrat

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

I am almost finished fixing module_game_menus, there are a small number of errors in other modules I need to sort out to get the code to compile again. Then, I need to hop through some of the menu stuff that I merged over (mainly testing menus).

I see a message from treebeard in the revision log asking everyone to compile before committing your code. The number one rule of working in a collaborative code environment (like at work) is "don't break the build". Smile Committing bugs is understandable and sort of inevitable, but committing stuff that will cause the build to stop compiling will throw a wrench in the works for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 5:56 pm

nihilocrat wrote:

I see a message from treebeard in the revision log asking everyone to compile before committing your code. The number one rule of working in a collaborative code environment (like at work) is "don't break the build". Smile Committing bugs is understandable and sort of inevitable, but committing stuff that will cause the build to stop compiling will throw a wrench in the works for everyone.

Just to rehash that, its vital!

How much is there to go after the menus are done?
Back to top Go down
Timaaagh
Thought Warden
Thought Warden
Timaaagh

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:33 pm

I can help with the merge, just let me know what you want me to do.
Back to top Go down
mp84
Nemisis
Nemisis

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Timaaagh wrote:
I can help with the merge, just let me know what you want me to do.

I would suggest you loop with ManO as he the main person working on the merge along with Ole and Kenny, but ManO would be your best bet to find what still needs to be done.. (He's on MSN now , Friday almost 11PM EST, if you happen to see this message now)..

MP
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Can I get a status update on this please? Where are we at the moment and what has yet to be done?
Back to top Go down
ManOfHonor
Insidious Provocateur
Insidious Provocateur

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 am

Mordred- Looks like We've got some of the big stuff done, like the module_scripts, I'm not sure on Nihlo's exact status though, but after glancing through the other files again it looks like most of the worst is done, once game menus is also completed.

Timaagh-

Please take care of the module dialogs. When you finish that, if you're bored, please get the triggers and simple triggers.

Nihlo just keep working the game menus. When you've got that done, module parties please, there look to be a fair number of differences, but all fairly easy.

I am now doing module_items and it shouldn't take long. After that I'm going to do the mission templates.

Sounds! This is important, which sound format is going to be the one for P4, I've heard plenty back and forth about it for the active releases, but which way do we want to go for P4? Lots of differences in that file, but mostly just .oog/.wav, so easy to merge once we know what we want.

Once game menus and the dialogs are done, I'd say the worst of the merge is over, the other files don't look to be difficult, though some like items have many changes, they are simple ones.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Insidious Diety
Insidious Diety
Mordred

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks for the update ManO! I am very pleased with the progress you are making, please keep that up! I have Nihlo on Skype if you want his contact details so that you can communicate more directly.

With regards to sound, .wav seems to be the most efficient format so let's go with that. They may be larger, but the game runs more smoothly when we use them.
Back to top Go down
Sairtar
Soothsayer
Soothsayer
Sairtar

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Hello my lovely coders. Lets talk turkey.

So I am lead to believe the "merger" is coming along nicely. The next step will involve me and the assets. As you know much of what is in place now is borked as far as items go, many of which are incorrectly spelled, implemented improperly, blah blah blah. So what does this have to do with me? I have reconstituted new resources and resource management, we will be deleting all the previous assets and our new scenes and textures for all five major factions will be the only thing added back in.

More specifically, models, textures, and spec and normal maps for the five primary factions will be the only non native resources in our resource folder. This means changes in the item lists, and basically everything but the native items can literally be stripped out, and we will be starting from scratch in outfitting all five factions. Luckily this should be rather painless. Hopefully we will have some semblance of a game after that stage is over, and we can plow through with balancing and all the joys therein. Please email me, any and all coders, at joseph.pomainville@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Timaaagh
Thought Warden
Thought Warden
Timaaagh

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Just want everyone to know that module_dialogs is nearly complete. I just need to compile and fix any errors that come up.

When I'm done should I upload the new dialogs file via SVN or are we putting it all together another way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Version Merge? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Version Merge?   Version Merge? Empty

Back to top Go down

Version Merge?
Page 1 of 1